The church of the city of Viarmes

The Church

The oldest part of the church (the base of the tower and the space between the first four pillars) dates from the twelfth century.Several stages of construction have succeeded, especially in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. Work conducted in 1982 helped restore the apse of the church to its original appearance and uncover an ancient credenza and two coats of arms. The left nave dates from the fourteenth century and the right nave of the fifteenth. This, of Gothic style, was restored in 1525 following the fire of the original wooden vaults. There are several coats of arms to weapons of Royaumont abbots in recognition of their benefits and gifts to the church. The tower appears to have been built in the second half of the twelfth century marks the transition between the Roman and Gothic. He was crowned with a stone arrow but was completely burnt in the fifteenth century and restored in 1887.
The choir and the sanctuary date back to the construction of the Royal Abbey of Royaumont (1128-1235). The Gothic style of this part of the church is inspired by the architect of the abbey.
The interior is home to several notable pieces as the marble altar from the Abbey of Royaumont. It was donated by the Marquis of Travanet in 1791. This altar was donated by Louis XIV in Royaumont in the late seventeenth century. The organ, a Cavaillé-Coll of 1886, was restored in 1974 and in 2011. One of the paintings in the organ loft is also a gift of Royaumont. He represents the “Good Samaritan” from a copy of the work of Van Dyck (the original is in the Louvre). In the left nave, a copy of Rubens represents the Adoration of the Magi.

La ville de Viarmes en images

Vous souhaitez voir plus d'images de la ville de Viarmes ?

Nous sommes là pour vous renseigner

Par mail
Par téléphone

01 34 68 03 76

A l'office
74 Rue de Paris - 95270 Viarmes
les mercredis matins de 10h à 12h